Prepare your Home
Use this helpful checklist as a reminder of the things you need to do before you move. For detailed moving information and a FREE, instant moving quote please click here.
Book the movers:
You can choose to have the movers pack everything, or just the breakables, or you can pack yourself. It's a good idea to obtain estimates from several different companies.
If you own your present home:
* Arrange to have your gas, water, and electric meters read on the day you leave and have the bills forwarded to your new address.
* Have your oil tank read and filled before your sale closes, and provide a receipt to your legal professional if required.
* If the water heater or furnace is rented, arrange for a transfer of the rental agreement to the purchaser.
* Disconnect your telephone, cable TV, and water softener.
If you rent your present home:
Give necessary written notice to your landlord and make arrangements for the return of any monies you have on deposit.
At your new home:
Make arrangements for the gas and electric utilities, water softener, telephone and cable TV to be connected on the day the sale closes.
* Get "Change of Address" cards from the post office and send out well before moving day.
* Have the post office forward your mail to your new address.
* Cancel any contracted services and pre-authorized cheques.
* Inform gardening, dry cleaning, garbage pick-up, newspapers, magazines, diaper and other home services. Arrange for service at your new address.
* Obtain a letter of introduction from your current branch to help establish new accounts. Transfer trust or bank accounts and securities.
* Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious or business affiliations and memberships.
* Arrange for transfer of medical, dental, prescription and optical records.
* Change the address on your driver's license(s) effective the day of the move.
* Collect all items out for cleaning, repair or storage. e.g. fur coats, dry cleaning.
* Make special arrangements for the moving of perishables, such as plants.
* Make special arrangements for the moving of your pets.
* Dispose safely of all flammable liquids as it is illegal for movers to carry them.